Here we go again, another quick, and easy pasta dish. This spicy sun-dried tomato pasta is a little sweet, a little spicy, and a versatile sauce to keep in the books. I originally made this sauce to go over pan-seared salmon over rice and lentils. It was to die for, but the second I tasted it I knew it would have been a shame not to put on pasta. I have to admit, this one is similar to my Spicy Vodka Rigatoni (ie. it’s a tomato based cream sauce). However, if you aren’t a fan of the twang you get from vodka, and like the taste of sun-dried tomatoes, this one is for you.
I can see it already. Creamy? YES! Sweet from the sun-dried tomatoes? YES! Spicy from… harissa? AGAIN!? Sorry, I have been on a harissa kick lately. Why? Harissa a versatile condiment. Not only is it a great way to layer on spice without making a dish too spicy, but there are so many great flavors that are in it. Flavors like garlic and lemon which really brighten up a creamy dish. To find out more about Harissa, check out the Tomato Roasted Farro Bowl recipe or even the Harissa Roasted Tomatoes over Labneh.
What You’ll Need for Spicy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- Pasta– Players choice here, however the pasta used was Fusilli Corti Col Buco.
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Harissa or Chili Flakes – If you haven’t jumped on the harissa bandwagon, or are tired of me using it in recipes, the spice factor CAN be replaced with chili flakes. Why opt for Harissa? Harissa has additional spices and flavors that adds an extra depth to this dish. Sure we can make this spicy, but don’t you also want to make it tasty too? Need harissa? Buy HERE or HERE.
- Tomato Paste
- Heavy Cream
A Few Tips
- As I said above, this sauce is super versatile. Make the sauce and keep it in an air tight container for up to 7 days.
- If opting for chili flakes instead of harissa, add the chili flakes to the garlic and shallots in the beginning.
Spicy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 lb pasta
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp harissa or 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp butter
- Cook pasta as per instructions in salty water. Drain when complete, and put on the side.
- While the pasta is cooking in a pot over medium-low heat melt butter. Once butter is melted add garlic and shallots. Cook for 5 minutes until shallots are translucent and garlic is fragrant. (if shallots and garlic begin to brown turn down the heat).
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes until they are soft.
- Add tomato paste and combine. Add heavy cream, and milk and whisk until tomato paste is incorporated.
- Add harissa and cook 5-7 minutes, until sauce has thickened. *if the sauce gets too thick add an additional 1/4 cup of milk.
- Add cooked pasta, toss and enjoy!