Mix, Eat, Repeat. Since the arrival of bubs #2 I have eaten this salmon salad almost every day. For starters it’s a quick dish that is ready in just a few minutes. Not to mention that it’s relatively healthy and extremely filling. With just a few ingredients and 15 minutes you have a great lunch, afternoon snack, or a light dinner. Enjoy on a piece of crusty sourdough, sandwiched between two pieces of bread, stuffed in lettuce wraps, or if you are like me and are extremely limited on time just eat it straight off the fork.
What You’ll Need for Salmon Salad
- Salmon – This recipe was made with leftover fresh salmon, but to tell you the truth typically I make it with canned salmon. Not only does it make it easier skipping the extra cooking step, but I personally have a stock pile of canned salmon in my pantry. Truth is…. this recipe almost tastes better with canned salmon. If you don’t have leftover salmon already cooked, go canned.
- Red Onion
- Capers – Use small capers if possible.
- Cilantro – Cilantro adds brightness to the dish. If you are one of the unfortunate that tastes soap instead of the bright flavor of this leafy herb see below under variations.
- Bread, Toast, Lettuce Wraps or just a Fork – Players choice here, I love this salad on a crusty piece of sourdough with a few tomatoes on top. If you are looking to reduce the carb all together this would be great in some bib lettuce cups.
There are so many ways to mix this up. Below are a few additions and substitutions to consider.
- Jalapeño – If you like things… hot.
- Parsley – Swap out the cilantro for flat leaf parsley. While you are at it maybe try a little pinch of dill in the mix as well.
- Greek Yogurt – I used to HATE mayo, so if you HATE mayo or are looking to cut back on the calories then swap it out for Greek yogurt. Not only will you still get the same creaminess, but the greek yogurt will add a little tang to the mix as well.
- Lemon Juice – A little squeeze of fresh lemon juice can brighten this up even more.
While this salmon salad should be enjoyed immediately, it can be made a few hours prior and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. I do not recommend making it a day+ in advance, it looses a bit of its brightness as the onion, celery, and cilantro age in the fridge.
Interested in other quick and healthy recipes? Check out the below!
- 1 can canned salmon or 5-6 oz fresh
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/4 red onion minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped finely
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp mayo
- salt + pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix. Season with a pinch of salt and a few cracks of freshly ground pepper.
- Enjoy on a sandwich, crusty toast, in a lettuce wrap, or as is.